11.02.2008

Aeblekage (Danish Apple Cake)


When dessert time came at my grandparents' house, there were usually several desserts waiting in the refrigerator or on the sideboard. Of all of the delicious desserts that my grandma made, one of my very favorite was her apple cake. It is a fairly simple recipe, requiring just three ingredients - but it does require several hours for the cake to cool in the refrigerator, so you may wish to bake the cake the night before you plan to serve it and chill it overnight. Depending on how much time you'd like to put into this recipe, you can either make your own applesauce (see my recipe here) or use chunky applesauce from the store.

Aeblekage (Danish Apple Cake) (8-16 servings)
3 cups applesauce
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (or breadcrumbs)
8 oz. whipped topping

1. Preheat oven to 320F.

2. Butter or use cooking spray to coat all sides of an 8x8 baking dish (or other oven-proof dish). Layer graham cracker crumbs and applesauce in pan, 1/2 cup of crumbs, 1 cup applesauce, 1/2 cup crumbs, 1 cup applesauce, 1/2 cup crumbs, 1 cup applesauce, 1/2 cup crumbs.

3. Bake at 320F for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight, until completely chilled throughout.

4. Slide a knife between cake and edge of pan, then turn out onto a large plate. Frost with whipped topping. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

3 comments:

Ruben Berenguel said...

Here in Spain we can't find real applesauce that easily... And making my own doesn't really feel like the aeblekages I ate in Denmark. Thus, when I found a recipe I liked, I ate it and named it aeblekage.

Try this at home: Crispy Apple Pie and tell me how it turns out!

GoatRoper325 said...

I remember aeblekage from my childhood. But it wasn't baked. It was layers of either bread crumbs or graham cracker crumbs, the applesauce and, between the layers, dollops of grape (or lingonberry) jelly. It was made in a 9x13 pan and the top was fresh whipped cream. To me, this is the ultimate comfort food.

Anonymous said...

I remember aeblekage as a childhood as well. It was graham cracker crumbs toasted in butter then layered with chunky applesauce. This dessert was reserved for Christmas. Somewheres with in the desert was a hole almond. Whoever wherever found the almond got a prize it was lots of fun.