Whole Wheat Blueberry (Almond) Bread (1 large loaf or 3 mini loaves)
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. skim or 1% milk (or try with almond milk, if you are lactose unfriendly or just want a different flavor)
1/4 c. applesauce
1/4 c. canola oil
2 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. rolled oats
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries (if frozen, allow to thaw for 15-30 minutes)
1/2 c. almonds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease either 1 8-9" loaf pan or 3 mini-loaf pans.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, milk, applesauce, and eggs.
3. In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, stir until just combined.
5. Fold in blueberries (and almonds, if desired). Pour into prepared pan(s).
6. Bake at 350F for 45-55 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. (I found that the smaller breads took about 45 minutes and the larger bread took about 55-60 minutes). Remove bread from the oven and allow to cool for ~10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan and turn out onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
7. Slice and serve with a bit of butter, homemade preserves, or just on its own.